While reading other book blogs, I stumbled on a post about bookish bad habits. So, I thought it would be fun to post my BBH list as well.
1. Sometimes I judge a book too quickly. If I don’t like the cover I tend to not want to read it. When it happens for book club picks (especially after committing to going to the corresponding meeting), I feel bad for not giving it a chance, even more so if all the other girls love it.
2. I buy books, even though I have stacks of unread ones. Remeber my post about my February vacation to TN? I had three books that I hadn’t read yet to take with me and ended up going to the used book store and buying 12 more. Plus the two that I had ordered before the vacation. Sadly, I must admit that all 17 of those books are currently on my TBR shelf (or in this case shelves, as I have four).
3. I have duplicates. Before I had my nook, I never wanted to sell my books. But now I have ebook copies of most of my books, which means duplicates. Not always a bad thing to some, but I am rapidly running out of room on my book cases, and while I have managed to get three full plastic tubs of books to sell, there is still a big chunk I don’t want to sell.
4. I stay up way too late, and end up reading the ending of a book when I’m so tired that I barely remember it. Case in point: last night. I was reading the book club pick that we are going to discuss next weekend. I had a little over a hundred pages left, and I wanted to finish before going to sleep. I finished the book at 2:30 AM.
5. If I get tired of a book, I set it aside and start something new. I always plan to return to the other one, but I rarely do. Actually, to be honest, I don’t necessarily get tired of the book, I just get sucked into another book and forget all about the previous one.
6. In the same vein as # 5, I try to read too many books at once. Reading two or three books at a time is fine. As long as I stick to alternating after each chapter. But I don’t always want to stop at one chapter if the book is really compelling.
7. I read in the bath. This is a habit I’ve had for years. Sometimes if I find a book particularly hard to read, I take it into the bathroom with me and read while bathing. Not so bad if it’s a paper book, if it gets wet, it’ll dry. But with a nook…..yeah.
So, that’s my list of bookish bad habits. Hope you enjoyed it and if you share any of these habits or have some you’d like to add. feel free to comment.